Duty-free Shopping in the Sinjeju Area
1. Enjoy shopping on Nuwemoru Street in Sinjeju
Symbolizing friendly relations with China, this street is also called the Myeong-dong of Jeju. The street was designated as a cultural space where cars are not allowed, which guarantees a convenient and pleasant shopping experience. Clothing, shoes and cosmetics are popular shopping items! You can also enjoy various kinds of food here including local dishes such as pork noodles and grilled black skin-on pork belly.
- Yeon-dong, Jeju-si, Jeju-do
2. Lotte Duty Free Shop
Opened in Yeon-dong, Sinjeju in June 2015, Lotte Duty Free Shop is spread over the 1st to 3rd floors of Lotte City Hotel Jeju. The 1st floor features prestigious brands such as Prada and Louis Vuitton. Luxury brand watches, cosmetics and sunglasses are on the 2nd floor. The 3rd floor consists of health food, liquor and local Jeju specialties.
- 1F–3F Lotte City Hotels Jeju, 83, Doryeong-ro, Jeju-si, Jeju-do
- 10:00–19:30 (Open all year)
- kr.lottedfs.com/branchGuide/6/intro (EN/CH/JP)
3. The Shilla Duty Free Shop
The Shilla Duty Free Shop opened in Yeon-dong, Sinjeju, in August 1989. The duty-free shop is a 4-story building that features over 300 brands. The Shilla Duty Free Shop is the only duty-free shop in Jeju that has world-class luxury brand stores such as Chanel and Hermes. You can also buy dried laver, chocolates and health foods on the 4th floor.
- 69, Noyeon-ro, Jeju-si, Jeju-do
- 10:00–19:30 (Open all year)
- www.shilladfs.com (EN/CH/JP)
Cultural and Arts Tour in Seogwipo
1. Seogwipo Maeil Olle Market, where local delicacies of Jeju abound
It is the biggest traditional market in Seogwipo-si, where Jeju’s local delicacies as well as sliced raw fish and affordable seafood are available. Gyulhareubang bread, minced black pork croquettes and skewers are popular snacks. Dried laver and seafood are recommended gift items that can be purchased here.
- 22, Jungjeong-ro 73beon-gil, Seogwipo-si, Jeju-do
- 07:00–21:00 (Open all year)
2. Lee Jung-seop Culture Street, where stories about the genius painter are alive
Lee Jung-seop is a western-style painter famed for his work the Bull. You can find street lights and pavements decorated with his paintings depicting children, bulls, and fish while walking along the street. There is a gallery that exhibits his works as well as small workshops creating an attractive atmosphere.
- Area around Ijungseop-ro, Seogwipo-si, Jeju-do
- Lee Jung-seop Gallery
- Adult 1,000 won
3. Jeongbang Falls & Cheonjiyeon Falls
Jeongbang Falls is the only waterfall in Asia that falls directly into the ocean. The sound of the water cascading over oddly-shaped rocks and into the ocean (above 20 m in height) is overwhelming. The path to Cheonjiyeon Falls is noted for its dense forest full of subtropical plants.
- Jeongbang Falls or Cheonjiyeon Falls
- Adult 2,000 won
Jeju Jungmun Resort Tour
1. Daepo Jusangjeolli Cliff, a work of art created by the waves and lava
Hexagon and pentagon-shaped stone pillars create a magnificent view along the seaside. Daepo Jusangjeolli Cliff is the largest among its kind seen on Jeju, a volcanic island.
- 36-30, Ieodo-ro, Seogwipo-si, Jeju-do
- 08:00–18:00 (Open all year)
- Adult 2,000 won
2. Pacific Land, where you can see wonderful performances of cute animals
The dolphin show is quite popular as the dolphins perform in perfect harmony with their trainer. Sea lions playing basketball and Japanese monkeys riding motorcycles are also quite amusing.
- 154-17, Jungmungwangwang-ro, Seogwipo-si, Jeju-do
- Hours vary in winter and summer
(10:30, 11:00, 12:00, 13:30, 15:00, 16:30, 17:00)
- Adult 12,000 won
3. Yeomiji Botanical Garden, which houses Asia’s largest green house
You can view various kinds of plants, all here in this botanical garden, from Jeju’s wild flowers to plants that grow in the tropical rainforest of the Amazon. The garden features as many as 2,300 kinds of plants including those in the greenhouse garden and the outdoor garden.
- 93, Jungmungwangwang-ro, Seogwipo-si, Jeju-do
- Adult 9,000 won
- www.yeomiji.or.kr (EN/CH/JP)
4. Cheonjeyeon Falls
Cheonjeyeon Falls, which according to a legend is where fairies bathed, consists of three separate cascades. The emerald pond adds to the beauty of the falls. Don’t forget to see the columnar jointing at the upper fall as well as the magnificent view of the second fall with its roaring cascades.
- 132, Cheonjeyeon-ro, Seogwipo-si, Jeju-do
- Adult 2,500 won
Tourist Spots near Jungmun Resort Complex
1. Yongmeori Beach, where you can find stacks of mysterious sandstone
Contrary to Yongduam Rock, which resembles a dragon head tilted toward the sky, the seashore cliff at Yongmeori Beach looks like a dragon’s head diving into the ocean. You will be overwhelmed by its grandeur with a sandstone bed that has accumulated over a dozen million years. Sanbangsan Mountain, located behind Yongmeori Beach, is noted for Sanbanggulsa Temple where a Buddha statue can be found inside a cave.
- 218-10, Sanbang-ro Andeok-myeon, Seogwipo-si, Jeju-do
- 2,000 won for Yongmeori Beach
- 2,500 won for tours to Sanbangsan Mountain and Yongmeori Beach
2. Camellia Hill, the biggest camellia garden in Asia
You can find rare species of camellia from 80 countries from around the world at Camellia Hill. Several kinds of camellias boast a variety of colors from autumn to spring. In summer, you will be captivated by the fragrance of hydrangeas, and the fresh dense forest air will refresh your mind and body. The flower cafe, housed in a large green house, is quite popular. Try the camellia tea, which is a great immune booster.
- 166, Byeongak-ro Andeok-myeon, Seogwipo-si, Jeju-do
- 08:30–18:00 (Closed at 17:00 during winter)
- Adult 8,000 won
3. O’sulloc Tea Museum, the first tea museum in Korea
Taste fragrant green tea brewed with green tea leaves harvested from the wide O’sulloc green tea plantation at O’sulloc Tea Museum. You can also experience Korea’s traditional tea culture here. The museum exhibits tea cups collected from around the world. It is interesting to watch a tea master roast tea leaves here. Innisfree House is well-known for its cosmetics made with natural ingredients in Jeju. The Jeju female diver’s basket, a brunch menu item available at the cafe inside the museum, is quite popular.
- 15, Sinhwayeoksa-ro Andeok-myeon, Seogwipo-si, Jeju-do
- 09:00–18:00 (Open all year)
- www.osulloc.com/kr/ko/museum (EN/CH)